Horace Ayerst Buttery was a conservator of paintings. For some years he ran his conservation business under his father´s name, Ayerst Hooker Buttery, from 177 Piccadilly, London. After the Second World War, he moved to 173 New Bond Street, London, describing himself as a "picture expert, restorer and dealer". He worked for major public and private collections including the Fitzwilliam Museum, the Ashmolean Museum, Holkham Hall, Boughton House, the Royal Collection, the Victoria and Albert Museum, etc. The records in the archive appear in three volumes which span the years 1924-1962.